Yesterday was awesome!
Fridays (like for many of you) is the most anticipated day of the week for us, for our own reasons.
Its kekabs, coke, and some desserts for dinner on many fridays! 🙂
Me and my sister are usually super excited because on the Fridays we would be allowed to consume some kind of aerated drinks. Yes it’s not healthy, but so are burgers and pizzas (falling in the category of not so healthy food). But in a real world, being practical and at times giving into some temptation is allowed by our parents.
Glad, Delhi Belly Happened!
I still remember, each Friday my dad would take a stroll down the street to get the tandoori chicken from a local grill. I must say, the place did a good job and we were almost hooked onto it for a while.
Well, until one fine day something went wrong! We encountered Delhi Belly (mild food poisoning) and that’s it. I do not believe my dad has visited the local grill ever since. We certainly did not want to miss the chicken each friday, so we decided to make our own and have been happily grilling ever since.
Our version of recipe
There’s no right or wrong way to make a tandoori chicken. Each place you visit, you can taste a different variety. We did some research and we figure the following recipe works best for us. We hade a few tweaks to suit our palette and glad to share that you shall not be disappointed once you try it.
- Chicken – 500 gms , 5-6 medium size pieces
- Hung Curd (Yogurt) – 1/2 cup
- Lime – 1 piece
- Food Color (red) – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp crushed
- Oil – Mustard Oil or cooking oil – 3-4 tsp
- Kasoori Methi – 1/2 tsp, roasted and crushed
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Food color – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp crushed
- Garlic – 1/2 tsp crushed
- Salt to taste
Step 1 (Prep the chicken)
- Wash the chicken pieces and dry it a cloth
- Apply lime juice and salt allow it to rest for 15 mins
- This is key as you will find the difference in taste.
Step 2 (Prep the marinate)
- In a bowl, add the yoghurt
- add the ginger, garlic, black pepper, red chilli, turmeric, garam masala, kasoori methi, oil
- you may choose to add the food color (which is optional nd only brings in the red color)
- apply this to the chicken
- allow it to rest for about 4-5 hours (at least 30 mins, preferably)
- It should look like the picture below
Step 3 (Grill The chicken)
- Now preheat the oven to 230 °C
- Put the chicken on the grill for 10 mins
- Turn the chicken upside down after 10 mins and allow to cook for another 6-8 mins
- Apply more oil of needed
- Keep checking to ensure it does not get burnt.
- Remove and serve
have a good weekend 🙂